Picture cards are a must-have in the speech therapy world. My first year out of grad school one of my very first purchases was a big box of picture cards to help target vocabulary and other concepts in my then moderate to severely delayed population. So I was really excited when Super Duper asked if I would be interested in reviewing a new product of theirs, the Anytime Go-Together Super Photo Fun Deck.
The Anytime Go-Togethers deck comes with 84 photo card pairs. The 168 photo cards, which are large at 4”x4”, are separated into two decks, each with a different colored backing to help keep organized and come in a tin storage container with handle. This product also comes with an instruction booklet with game ideas and provides a full picture list of all cards for reference.
What I love about these cards:
- Pictures: the pictures themselves are bright , simple, and are contrasted against a white background which makes them easy to see visually.
- Size: these cards are not too big but not too small. The first set of picture cards I mentioned in my intro that I purchased right out of grad school (which I still have!) are quite a bit larger than these which at times is not convenient. I like the size of these cards.
- Reference guide: I LOVE LOVE LOVE the fact that this deck comes with a reference list not using just words but PICTURES. I am a visual person and having this reference list in a simple small booklet makes planning activities using these cards MUCH easier than even a word list.
- Game ideas: I love that the book came with four game ideas to use with these cards.
What I would love to see next:
- More game/therapy ideas. The only thing I could really think of to improve this product would be to provide MORE activity ideas to do with the cards both in the booklet and in the online description. As SLPs we are constantly creating activities with materials and its nice to have activity ideas already written up for us. The four ideas that come with the game are great, but more is always better 😉
Some ways to use the cards:
I want to share with you some ideas I have had on how you can use these cards in your therapy sessions!
- WH questions: For children who need to work on answering WH questions, you can use these cards to target just that! Pick some cards and write WH questions about them while using the cards as visual supports. For example: What do we use to brush our teeth? Why do we wear sunglasses? Where do we place a garbage bag? What animal likes to eat cheese? What does a baby drink from? Where do we sit to eat dinner? What do we do with a shovel? Etc.
- Memory: Play the classic Memory game with these cards. Because of their size, I would play this game on the floor and only use maybe 20-26 cards. Have the children pick one card of each color (one red, one blue) trying to find and match the things that go together.
- Headbandz: I think these cards would be great to use with the Headbandz game to target question asking, answering, and describing skills.
Would I recommend this product: YES! I would. These are quality picture cards of everyday items (and a few not-s-everyday, like cactus) that all children should know. They can be used in a wide variety of activities which also is so important in our field!
Super Duper was SO awesome to offer one set of these great cards to one of my readers! All you have to do is enter below using the Rafflecopter! This giveaway will be open until Tuesday April 17th at 11:59pm Eastern. Ages 18 and up. Please read full terms and conditions before entering. Winners will be contacted via email and announced in next Wednesday’s blog post. Good luck!
Congrats to the two winners of the Super Duper Mini Books giveaway from last week, Colleen D and Megan L! Keep a look out in your email from me so I can get your address!
Disclosure: The product in this review was provided to me by Super Duper Publications (one set for me to keep, and one set to giveaway). However all opinions in the review are authentic and mine alone.