As a speech pathologist, I am constantly trying to find quality therapy products. In addition, I am also always looking for things to make my job easier. When working in the schools, an SLP typically has a large caseload (between 45-80 students) with diverse goals and objectives. The majority of the time, we have no choice but to group children based on the times of day and not based on similar goals, which would be the most effective for planning and implementing therapy!
So I was so excited when Super Duper Publications asked if I would be interested in reviewing their new Quick Take Along Mini Books! I was lucky enough to be able to review their Articulation Quick Take Along Mini Book and their Phonology Quick Take Along Mini Book.
These mini books contain pages and pages of word lists that can be used in screenings, therapy, or RTI activities. Each mini book is compact (3″ x 5″), spiral bound and constructed from laminated pages. Word lists are color coded by either sound position (for the Artic book) or by phonological process (for the phonology book). Here are some specifics for each book:
The Articulation Mini Book contains:
- 1,386 words
- 18 or more words per sound position (Initial, Medial, and Final)
- 24 sounds: B, CH, D, F, G, H, J, K, L, L Blends, M, N, P, R (vocalic), R Blends, S, S Blends, SH, T, TH, V, W, Y, and Z
The Phonology Mini-Book includes 1,100 minimal pairs that target the following 10 phonological processes and are organized by sounds made at the front of the mouth (bilabials) to the back of the mouth (velars):
- Final Consonant Deletion
- Cluster Reduction
- Stridency Deletion
- Prevocalic Voicing
- Postvocalic Devoicing
- Initial Consonant Deletion
What I like about them
I will admit I was presently surprised when I received these little books. I mean, I have a couple books with word lists (ok, like 10 different books) so why on earth would I need ANOTHER set of word lists? Here is what I like about these:
- SIZE! Absolutely hands-down the best aspect of this product is the size! You can literally throw these in your pocket which would be awesome if a teacher asks if you can pop in and listen to a student.
- Laminated pages: This will help with durability and allows you to clean the pages after germy little hands get a hold of them
- The Spiral Binding: This makes it possible to fold the book in half or lay it flat on a table.
What I’d love to see next
I really do love these books, but I always see room for improvements or upgrades in basically every product. Here are some things that I would love to see in the future or as a new but similar product:
- Page Tabs: The one thing that I think would make these books even better, if if there were tabs to help you find the page you need quickly. It isn’t needed but would be useful!
- Pictures: I think it would be great to have another version of these books with pictures rather than words. I realize that in doing that, the books would end up being bigger or thicker. Another idea could be a mini book of picture scenes rather than a book with pictures of the target words which would allow for the small compact size. Each picture scene could have several target words per sound and could be used to elicit more spontaneous language and speech.
Would I recommend this product? Absolutely! Think these are a fantastic addition to my materials and I know I will be using them regularly. Right now I am working privately with clients and these books have a permanent home in my therapy bag. In fact I used the phonology one just the other day in a session to help me decide which process to target next.
Super Duper was SO awesome to offer one copy of each book to give away to my readers! All you have to do is enter below using the Rafflecopter! I will pick two winners, one will receive the Phonology book, and one will recieve the articulation book. This giveaway will be open until Tuesday April 10th at 11:59pm Eastern. Ages 18 and up. Please read full terms and conditions before entering. Winners will be contacted via email and announced in Wednesday’s blog post. Good luck!
To read more about Super Duper’s Quick Take Along Mini Books, click the links below!
Disclosure: The products in this review were provided to me by Super Duper Publications (one set for me to keep, and one set to giveaway). However all opinions in the review are authentic and mine alone.