Recently I shared some information about the relationship between early language skills and literacy skills development in young children. The research is very clear: children with strong early language skills tend to have higher literacy skills later on. Specifically researchers Hart & RisleyÂ found theÂ quantity of words spokenÂ to a childÂ in the first three years of lifeÂ wereÂ strongly associated with a childâ€™s language skills, vocabulary size and IQ later in life. So we know how very important those early language skills are, even before age three!
But what about those preschool years? How can we help build literacy and language skills before we send our kids off to kindergarten and beyond? Today, I am going to share with you a new book,Â I’m Ready!â„¢ How to Prepare Your Child for Reading SuccessÂ which can help parents (and professionals!) build early literacy and language skills in young children.
Disclosure: I was provided this book by the lovely people at The Hanen Centre in exchange for my honest review. As usual, all opinions are mine and are notÂ influenced by the free product. In addition, there are AmazonÂ Affiliate links for yourÂ convenience. When you order through my Amazon links I earn a smallÂ commission at noÂ cost to you that helps fund the upkeep of this website and fuels my coffee addiction. Thank you!Â
AboutÂ “I’m Ready!â„¢ How to Prepare Your Child for Reading Success”
I’m Ready!â„¢ How to Prepare Your Child for Reading SuccessÂ was written by Janice Greenberg, B.Sc., D.S.P & Elaine Weitzman, M.Ed. both speech-language pathologists from The Hanen Centre. This compact book (just 75 pages including references) is jam-packed with tons of research-based Â practical ideas, checklists, and and easy-to-use tips and strategies to build early literacy skills in young children. Â Parents, caregivers and other early childhood educators will love using these strategies to embed literacy-learning within everyday activities and routines.
Who is This Book For
This book is perfect for:
- Parents of young, typically developing children (around ages 3-6 but many of the strategies can be used before and after)
- Parents of young children with special needs who are in the pre-literacy phase of development regardless of chronological age.
- Early childhood educators and/or caregivers who work with young children who are in the pre-literacy stage of development
My first impressions of Â I’m Ready!â„¢ How to Prepare Your Child for Reading Success were:
- OOhhh pretty colors! Love the bright colors and beautiful designs. The book is very aesthetically pleasing! Pretty colors and designs throughout make this book a pleasure to read.
- Pictures! REAL PICTURES! This book is FULL of pictures of real parents interacting with their children. This helps the reader really relate to the content of the book.
- The book is nice and SHORT. Only around 67 pages of content makes this book less daunting to parents and professionals who want to learn strategies to implement NOW with young children than some other resources out there.
- Researched based information!Â I love research based information! I immediately noticed notes on current research weaved into the book in an easy to read format: this book is written inÂ plain English.Â
After I flipped through I’m Ready!â„¢ Â How to Prepare Your Child for Reading Success to get a feel for it, I checked out the table of contents. I was happy to see only 6 chapters as again, the less pages/chapters the less daunting for parents! Each chapter introduces a different early literacy skill and then provides tips on how to develop that skill within daily activities and routines. Here is the breakdown:
- Chapter 1: Early Literacy-Foundation for Academic Success
- Chapter 2: Conversation-Turn Book Reading into a Time to Talk and Have Fun
- Chapter 3: Vocabulary-Make New Words Sparkle
- Chapter 4: Story Comprehension-Deepen Your Child’s Understanding During Book Reading
- Chapter 5: print Knowledge-Build your Child’s Understanding of how Print Works
- Chapter 6: Sound Awareness- Help your Child Hear the Sounds in Words
- Suggested Children’s Books
Then within each chapter, there is a “Try it Out” page that provides some review and refection questions to help you apply these strategies in your day.
See For Yourself: FREEBIE!
The wonderful people at The Hanen Centre are providing my readers with a downloadable “sneak peak” of sorts from I’m Ready!Â so you can see for yourself what a cool resource this is. They are sharing an excerpt from Chapter Three: Vocabulary-Make New Words Sparkle. In this chapter, they introduce a mnemonic SSTaRS that can help you build you child’s vocabulary. It is fantastic! Click below for your freebie!
You can also get an additional sneak peak on Hanen’s website.
What I Love
Oh there are so many things I really love about I’m Ready!Â ! Here are the top ones:
- Clear explanations of strategies
- Strategies are easy-to use and can be used within daily activities/moments to help promote early literacy AND speech & language development
- Creative mnemonics to help you remember the strategies
- RESEARCHED BASED! This book is based on research, which is so very important. (And the research used is all listed at the end of the book in the FIVE + pages of references at the end of the book).
- Bright, colorful layout
- Lots of full color pictures
- Short in length
Where Can You Pick up a Copy?
WIN A COPY!
Now for the AWESOME part. The wonderful people from The Hanen Centre are going to give away copies of this fantastic resource to FIVE of my readers! That is right! F I V E!!!Â
Entering is SIMPLE. Just leave a blog comment below and tell us this: What is your favorite activity to do with your young child(ren) to encourage early literacy development? Then enter your information in the Rafflecopter below!
Want to increase your odds of winning? You can “like” The Hanen Centre’s Facebook page and/or PWW365’s Facebook page for additional entries!
This sweepstakes is open worldwide to those 18 years and older. Entries will be accepted until 11:59 pm US Pacific time on Tuesday June 3rd, 2014. 5 winners will be selected via the Rafflecopter widget. Winners will be notified via email within 5 business days of the close of the sweepstakes. Winners have 48 hours to claim their prize. The Hanen Centre will mail out all prizes. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE DOES NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW. Please read FULL rules before entering in the Rafflecopter Widget.