You may have noticed I have been doing a lot of reviews lately! I am finishing up all review requests I have had as I get ready to go out on maternity leave. Today, I am really excited to review a great book by fellow SLP Kimberly Scanlon called My Toddler Talks: Strategies and Activities to Promote your Child’s Language Development. Disclaimer: IÂ receivedÂ this book at no cost in exchange for my honest review. As always, all thoughts and opinions are mine and are notÂ influenced by the free product. There are AmazonÂ Affiliate links in this post for yourÂ convenience.Â
What is My Toddler Talks?
My Toddler Talks: Strategies and Activities to Promote Your Child’s Language DevelopmentÂ is 111 pages of strategies, tips, and activities for parents of children with speech and language delays. In fact, this book is very much what I have had envisioned for this very blog you are reading right now! So I was pretty thrilled to have the opportunity to review this book since the goal of this book is similar to my own goals for educating and empowering parents of children with speech delays.
Who is This Book For?
My Toddler TalksÂ is designed for parents of children with speech and language delays, however fellow speech-language pathologists, day care providers, preschool teachers and other early childhood professionals will also find this book informative and useful.
My first impression is that this book’s cover is bright and happy! As I flipped though the book, I saw it was under 120 pages, which is GOOD, because books that are too long/thick can be very intimidating to parents who are starting off on this adventure of trying to help their child.
The book is printed in a larger font, which is easy to see/read. The language is simple and easy to read as well.
What is This Book All About (content)?
Kim has written a simple manual here to help parents of children with language delays increase their child’s speech and language skills. The first part of the book is separated into the following sections that are devoted to educating readers about strategies they can use with their child to help expand speech skills:
- How to Use This Book
- Language Modeling Techniques and Elicitation Strategies
- Troubleshoopting Tips
- The Do Not list
- More Tips: The Five R’s
After you read through these pages (29 pages) the rest of the book is now full of activities you can do with your child (that include tips and references to the information in the first 29 pages) at home to help expand speech and language skills. Activities include things like how to play with specific toys as well as simple arts and crafts activities.
After the activities, the book has several appendices that include information on tracking your child’s development (including goals, progress chats, etc), routines, how play relates to language, common first words, etc. These are WONDERFUL resources!
What I Love About This Book
- It is relatively short at just over 100 pages, which is great for parents just starting out on helping their child with speech and language
- The book gives simple and well explained strategies for parents, caregivers and others to help expand speech and language skills in young children. The strategies are well explained and “do-able.”
- The activities portion of the book provides concrete and easy to read (and follow) directions on how to do the activity as well as provides tips on how to incorporate and use the strategies explained in the beginning of the book. Each activity has a clear beginning, middle and end to help parents, caregivers and others plan and implement activities.
- I like that this book can be used not only by parents, but by caregivers, day care providers, and fellow SLPs as the language is easy to understand. I think this is a great book for SLP students and new grads just beginning to work with young children with speech and language delays.
Want to Learn More?
Kim also has a website for the book My Toddler Talks with some additional information including an app to track your child’s words! Go check it out! (Somehow this section disappeared from my original post….I’m adding this in Monday evening in case you missed it!)
Want It? Win It!
Kim, fellow SLP and author of this wonderful book, is so kind and is giving not one, not two, but THREE copies of Â My Toddler Talks: Strategies and Activities to Promote Your Child’s Language DevelopmentÂ to three of my lucky readers! How awesome is THAT?! Just enter in the Rafflecopter below. Good luck!!
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE DOES NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
Open to legal residents of US and Canada (must have mailing address in US or Canada) who are 18 or older. Void where prohibited or restricted by law. By entering below, you verify you have read the full terms and conditions, found in the Rafflecopter widget.Â
Promotion open from 12:00am Monday July 1st until 12am Monday July 8th, 2013, Pacific Standard Time.Â