Owl Finger Puppet Tutorial (and Fingerplay!)

The last couple months, my daughter E and I have been learning a a lot of new songs and fingerplays. Songs and fingerplays are an AWESOME and FUN way to help your child learn new language. They also are setting your child up to be better readers as songs and fingerplays, especially the ones that have rhyme, encourage the development of preliteracy skills including phonological awareness skills.

When I was collecting songs for my post 10 Fall and Thanksgiving Fingerplays, I specifically looked for some owl fingerplays because I am totally into owls right now (as is a whole lot of other people, just look at Pinterest!). and I did fine one cute one. And then I thought “How cool would it be to have owl finger puppets to go along with this fingerplay?” And so, you know, I went ahead and made them myself.

So today I am going to do my *very first* online tutorial (so bear with me, I am bound to mess this up) on how to make your own owl finger puppets. Ready? OK here we go…

What you will need

1. The template (see below where you can download)
  2. Printer to print the template, and paper to print it out on (I suggest card stock, but I actually made all mine with a simple paper template).
  3. Scissors
  4. Felt in different colors
  5. Hot glue gun and hot glue sticks
  6. 10 small googly eyes

Steps to make an owl finger puppet

1. Print out the template above and cut out each piece (I suggest printing it out on card stock)
  2. Turn on your glue gun so its nice and hot for step 4! :)
  3. Place the templates on the felt and either trace with a pen (and then cut), or cut around it as you hold it to the fabric. For each owl, you will need to cut out one body, one belly, one beak, two eyes and two wings out of whatever colored felt you would like. I chose to use three colors per owl.
  4. Once you have cut out all parts of the owl, select the owl body. You are going to create a cylinder with the rectangle by placing the rectangle on the table horizontally, folding one side over towards the middle, placing hot glue along the edge, and then folding the opposite side over placing it on the hotglue.
  5.  Once you have made your cylinder, it’s time to make the owls ears. You are going to do this by first folding over one edge of the top of the cylinder inward (see picture). Place hot glue on the “lip” you create, and then fold over the opposite side onto the hot glue. This will create two pointy owl ears.
  6. Next, it’s time to glue the owl belly on.
  7. Now, it’s times for the eyes. First you will want to glue your googly eyes on your template owl eyes with your hot glue. Once they are dry, it’s time to glue the eyes on your owl.
  8. Now your owl needs a beak! Go ahead and glue the beak on below the eyes.
  9. Last step, time for the wings. Glue one wing on either side of the belly (as shown in the picture).
  10. Ta da! You have made an owl finger puppet! Now you can make four more and use them with the One Little Owl finger play.

Here is the cute fingerplay you can do with these owl puppets

One Little Owl
No Tune

One little owl when the moon was new,
Along came another owl, and that made two.
Two little owls perched high in the tree,

Want the rest? head over to Preschool Express to read the rest of this cute finger play!

Other tips/ideas: Though I made these out of felt, these could EASILY be made from construction paper or scrapbook paper, which would make a great activity for the classroom or a speech therapy session 😉

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial! You can download the whole tutorial in PDF along with the template and the words to the fingerplay HERE.

If you decide to make these, PLEASE let me know!

Cheers!

Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge

1. Beth says

What darling owls – love them! Thanks for linking up to TGIF! I am your newest follower. I’d love for you to follow me back, if you want =-)
    Beth

2. says

Playing with finger puppets is such a great activity for children. In our house, we have: five little ducks, five little speckled frogs and all the characters from ‘Wombat Stew’. Making more is something I’d like to do when time permits. Thanks for a great tutorial.

• Katie says

Carla, I’m so happy you like them! I actually DID make up another owl fingerplay also!! But I wasn’t ready to share it with the world yet 😉 Let me know how they turned out!!

3. says

Thanks so much for your comment on my turkey puppets! I saw your cute little owls earlier this week and should have left a comment! I love them! What a great idea!

• Katie says

Ah ha ha ha Jessica! So glad I could help you out with the template! They are actually REALLY easy, seriously. And so fun! :) Thanks for stopping by!

• Katie says

Awesome! Thanks for the link Amanda! In know Carla (see comment above) did some sewing on hers, and they turned out ADORABLE!!!

4. Cheryl says

A librarian in Canada, on my day off making owl finger puppets for storytime. I’ll read Little Hoot by Amy Rosenthal & Jen Corace, a story of a tired little owl whoo’s parents make him stay up late “Rules of the roost”.
    what a hoot

5. Kathlyn says

Love these! Just made a set for my daughter’s preschool teacher (the fabulous Miss Jamie of Play to Learn Preschool!) and a set for my own kiddos to play with here at home! One little crafty trick that I love and share all the time – if you want to get rid of those pesky hot clue stringies just blast them with a quick shot from your hair dryer! No more hot glue spider webs everywhere.

Also, if you have freshly painted concrete block walls do NOT use hot glue to hang your posters in your classroom. I won’t admit to being the reason there are several bleached out spots on a classroom wall that used to be mine!

Trackbacks

1. […] Owl Finger Puppets (Playing with Words) Aren’t these adorable?!!  I need a crafty friend to make me a set! Little Ghost Poem (Play to Learn Preschool) Supplies needed: 1 tissue and scotch tape.  The kids will love it! 5 Little Pumpkins (Preschool Powol Packets) All of the “5 Little” poems are great for developing early computation skills! Pumpkin Puppets (Little Family Fun) Change it up for Halloween– try these popsicle stick puppets and cute rhyme. Felt Board Apple Tree Counting (Where Imagination Grows) This is a great way to incorporate early math skills during circle time. 5 Little Acorns (The Preschool Toolbox) Another terrific “5 Little” poem for fall. Five Little Leaves (Boy Mama Teacher Mama) How adorable!  This poem is perfect for fall. Ghost Hand Puppet (Mama Smiles) A “No Sew” hand puppet is just my speed.  Be sure to click the link to get the poem, too! 5 Golden Autumn Leaves (Picklebums) Click here for free printable leaves and a song, too! Colored Ghosts (4 Herreras) The story of the colored ghosts will surely keep the attention of a lively group of preschoolers! […]